Sunday, October 24, 2010

Neal A. Maxwell

Petitioning in prayer has taught me that the vault of heaven, with all its blessings, is to be opened only by a combination lock: one tumbler falls when there is faith, a second when there is personal righteousness, and the third and final tumbler falls only when what is sought is (in God's judgment, not ours) "right" for us.  Sometimes we pound on the vault door for something we want very much, in faith, in reasonable righteousness, and wonder why the door does not open.  We would  be very spoiled children if that vault door opened any more easily than it does now.  I can tell, looking back, that God truly loves me by the petitions that, in his perfect wisdom and love, he has refused to grant me.  Our rejected petitions tell us not only much about ourselves, but also much about our flawless Father.

Neal A. Maxwell, "Insights From My Life," p. 200

No comments:

Post a Comment