Sunday, October 24, 2010

Solomon Bennett Freehof

as quoted by W. Eugene Hansen:

Years ago I preferred clever people.  There was a joy in beholding ... a mind ... bearing thoughts quickly translated into words, or ideas expressed in a new way.  I find now my taste has changed.  Verbal fireworks often bore me.  They seem motivated  by self-assertion and self-display.  I now prefer another type of person; one who is considerate, understanding of others, careful not to break down another person's self-respect. ... My preferred person today is one who is always aware of the needs of others, or their pain and [their] fear and [their] unhappiness, and their search for self-respect. ... I once liked clever people.  Now I like good people."


W. Eugene Hansen, "Love," Ensign, Nov 1989, 24

1 comment: